Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: Gunsmithing under threat?

well just read everything on FSA web site re gunsmiths dealers nothing unusual there

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    Id be checking with someone on face book
    Facebook, such a reliable source of information not.
    Since I see no one else has done so, I have sent a few questions regarding these rumours and under what sections of the firearms act they are possibly being enacted to the FSA. See if I get an answer or not, they’re usually pretty straight up with replies to questions.

good on ya mate someone buy that man a beer
    csmiffy likes this.

The current Arms Act and the current Arms Regulations (two pieces of legislation that have to be read in conjunction, The Arms Act being the document that empowers the Regulations) are the only, and final word, on what is lawful. All Police policy, advice from Arms Officers, directives from the FSA, etc. is irrelevant unless it complies strictly with the legislation, and can be ignored. Remember that legislation only tells you what can't do. If something is not prohibited or otherwise regulated then it is legal to do. Having said that, always be prepared to stand your legal ground in the Courts. The Police often pursue cases when they think they can get way with it due to their, often unlawful, interpretation of the law. Only the Courts may interpret the law, and they are bound by the 'plain English' legislative requirements.

Greetings,
    I gather, and I could be wrong, that gunsmiths along with the rest of us are only allowed to keep a firearm for 30 days without registering it. Perhaps someone who is hard of understanding or prone to hyperbole has mis interpreted this.
    Just a thought. GPM.
    dogmatix, Trout, BRADS and 8 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings,
    I gather, and I could be wrong, that gunsmiths along with the rest of us are only allowed to keep a firearm for 30 days without registering it. Perhaps someone who is hard of understanding or prone to hyperbole has mis interpreted this.
    Just a thought. GPM.
    Aren't they required to add it to their dealer book immediately on receipt and then update within 30? Slightly different setup for the dealer/gunsmith types I thought? Might be well wrong on that though.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Aren't they required to add it to their dealer book immediately on receipt and then update within 30? Slightly different setup for the dealer/gunsmith types I thought? Might be well wrong on that though.
    I am a bit vague on the details but believed there was some 30 day requirement of some sort. It seemed a likely source for the one rifle claim that seems to have no basis in fact.
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    I am a bit vague on the details but believed there was some 30 day requirement of some sort. It seemed a likely source for the one rifle claim that seems to have no basis in fact.
    GPM.
    I think the 30 day was a rifle can be transferred from one person to another for up to 30 days without triggering an ownership transfer (assuming that both parties are already in the register system) I have no idea how that applies to a smith or dealer preumably they would want to get the job sorted and returned within the 30 days so they get paid for it registration or not.....
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

sounds like a need to drop a note to St Nicole of the .303- she would be interested and may ACT upon it and demand answers of the FSA. otherwise Id run with Gundocs advice cause I have in my possesion a written copy a judicial decision which he was involved in and which showed up quite clearly the pig headed attitudes of some members of "Commander Costers coffee club".Justice Jillian Mallon had some quite blunt comments of the efforts of such blue clad persons,acting as judge jury and executioner,and left them in no doubt they were to pull their heads in!

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I think the 30 day was a rifle can be transferred from one person to another for up to 30 days without triggering an ownership transfer (assuming that both parties are already in the register system) I have no idea how that applies to a smith or dealer preumably they would want to get the job sorted and returned within the 30 days so they get paid for it registration or not.....
    so any business with two or more gunsmiths...or households with FAL holders can play merrygungorounds indefinately change possesion every four weeks and nope..no paperwork needed LOL.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Yeah been noted before that you could go round and round in circles quite lawfully. One wag cynically noted that this must be the criminal ownership loophole...

Let's be honest here.
    It isn't realistic and shouldn't be allowed, but with the muppets in charge who the hell would know what they are up ho.
    I'm sure they would like to enforce this to shut people out with no other logic to back it up

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    Facebook, such a reliable source of information not.
    Since I see no one else has done so, I have sent a few questions regarding these rumours and under what sections of the firearms act they are possibly being enacted to the FSA. See if I get an answer or not, they’re usually pretty straight up with replies to questions.
    maybe read what's at the bottom of my posts
    rugerman likes this.
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

BULLSHIT! Next the FSA will be telling farmers that they are only allowed one cow! BULLSHIT!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it!" Breaker Morant