Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Otorohanga rifle range closed

Other than NZDF and NZ Police own goals, how many people have been injured or killed on ranges in NZ?

I think the NZ NRA number is 0.000, and I'm left wondering what the driver for compliance is....... actually, no - I'm not.
    BSA, Micky Duck, XR500 and 3 others like this.

There have been a couple of non-fatal injuries on NZDA ranges from things like plugged barrels (the good old steel starfish) and issues with reloaded ammo failing like double charges having a case head or case failure and chucking powder lead and metal everywhere but apart from those rare occurrences there aren't fatalities that I'm aware of. A few close calls with active ranges getting encroached by idjits - one where a pig hunter chucked his dogs over the (fully signed up 8 foot high) fence and walked across the range floor during a detail. That had potential...

There have been shooting "acidents" on ranges , it is just that they are very quietly covered up . Can't have the peasants knowing that their betters aren't?. Glock leg is just a myth isn't it ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Shields View Post
    Two hundred bucks to register the Club doesn't sound too onerous.

So far @Percy Jones has identified that the Waikato Club had to close (or relocate) because the back drop (bank) didn't meet the new safety standard. Not being able to ensure the safety of the surrounding community sounds like a pretty good reason to close a range. Safety should be the number one priority.

Percy, was the Club able to find new, compliant site?

What are the, "Too onerous tasks," which Nicole McKee referred too as cause of all these Club closing?

I believer the Waikato rifles club has closed now and i am not aware of them finding another place to shoot. There isnt a lot of options available in the area.

Further to the question on what other clubs have closed, i believe that a couple of small bore clubs closed due to lack of members and also the police changed the cone of fire. Police did helpfully give them a 5 year window to bring their ranges that have been used with no issues for the last 50 plus years up to the new "ballistically safe" condition.
    Hugh Shields likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    Other than NZDF and NZ Police own goals, how many people have been injured or killed on ranges in NZ?

I think the NZ NRA number is 0.000, and I'm left wondering what the driver for compliance is....... actually, no - I'm not.
    I know of 2 over the past 30 years and they were suicides.

The buzzword now in range compliance is ranges need to be "ballistically safe"

Greetings All,
    I don't know how much attention is being paid to the current early draft changes to the regulations on rifle clubs and ranges. Even if these survive the legislative process a level of compliance will still be needed with clubs being "enrolled" rather than registered. Ranges will still need to comply with standing orders including some sort of Range Manual. Leafing through some of the old and new range manuals it seems that it should be easier to build a compliant range, or perhaps upgrade an existing, one on a smaller footprint if range floor strike and the resultant ricochets can be eliminated.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    I don't know how much attention is being paid to the current early draft changes to the regulations on rifle clubs and ranges. Even if these survive the legislative process a level of compliance will still be needed with clubs being "enrolled" rather than registered. Ranges will still need to comply with standing orders including some sort of Range Manual. Leafing through some of the old and new range manuals it seems that it should be easier to build a compliant range, or perhaps upgrade an existing, one on a smaller footprint if range floor strike and the resultant ricochets can be eliminated.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    The police manual has a CoF of 10mil, so if you can get that down to something realistic like 4 or 5 mil then a lot of problems will dissapear.
    grandpamac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Jones View Post
    The police manual has a CoF of 10mil, so if you can get that down to something realistic like 4 or 5 mil then a lot of problems will dissapear.
    Exactly. I think NRA already work to 5 mil