Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Pump action rifles dilemma FSA making threats ?

I think we all recognise it has to go, because “the law”, we all know the law is an ass in this case
    , but he has been threatened during phone calls despite the fact he has tried to be compliant and is in this situation because he has been given quite frankly, incompetent advice by sworn police officers on two seperate occasions.
    I think the next step is to gather all the names of the relevant enforcement officers here and forward this information to those who are currently dealing with Nicole McKee as long as he is willing to take it further.
    I have come to the conclusion after a few calls tonight that this pump rifle detached mag ban is not widely known amongst the casual firearms using community.
    Thanks for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    For the most part, there are a lot of firearms owners out there that didn't follow the news, aren't on this site and don't necessarily have anything to do with anyone else. Them along with most normal people that have nothing to do with firearms don't realize it isn't just the evil black guns that were banned.
    If you aren't in a club and only follow the news you just won't know.
    I don't recall being sent out a general description from the rozzers as such but I was a bit more informed.
    Old mate with a bolt 22, a sxs shotty and a pump centerfire probably stopped paying attention after they said all the semis were to be scratched.
    But yes I reckon he will be shafted.
    He hasn't tried to hide it, far from it but they don't care and all the money is now gone and they definitely don't care.
    They struggled to care about ripping people off then. Won't be any better now
    As such

I was talking to a guy just a coule days ago about some rifles he needed storage for as he did not have room in his safe- They were a relatives who may have passed ....I asked if they were on the register and he had absolutley no idea what I was talking about- He was quite surprised to find out that he may need to register his firearms soon. And I am sure he wont be the only one.
    308 and Micky Duck like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by Surat View Post
    He said they were very aggressive today and threatening him, when he questioned them because he was genuinely confused.

thats how they roll.........

they arent capable of discussion and explanation in the first instance they are enforcers of the law not abjudicators
    as said in an earlier post hand it in or give it to someone that has the correct endorsement, they already have him bent over a barrel so might as well smile and take it like a man and then say thankyou... ive said it before we are outliers of society in theiir eyes and wont be treated as equally valued members of society . the sooner FSA is taken out of their control and given to someone more qualified the better.

That's a fairly big assumption to make, I'm not saying it's right or wrong but there are many factors unknown to anyone except the fal holder and the person he was dealing with. There is no recording of the call, no transcript no evidence whatsoever.
    So maybe let's not jump on the anti, hate the popo, we've all been dicked over band wagon based on what's been said here.
    There are many possibilities that could have led the fal holder in question to feel like he was being threatened including (my own speculation here) language barrier, culture barrier, confusing strong assertive robust conversation with threatening (ie: if you don't hand this in immediately you will face prosecution for unlawful possession and face the possibility of loosing you FAL).
    It is not a far stretch to suggest that the FAL holder in question here is feeling concerned and intimidated having had these discussions (which we are not privy to) and even feeling a little hard done by for not receiving compensation (rightly so it's a shit sandwich) and having an emotional response to some direct and pointed conversation.
    From the other side you have to understand that the FSA has been made aware of a prohibited firearm and their responsibility is to have it surrendered ASAP so they are unlikely to mince words when it comes to these conversations, that doesn't necessarily translate to threatening.

This is all speculation as I don't know what was said or what context it was said in.

If this thread continues to head down the anti gov, anti police, anti authority rabbit hole it will be either A locked or B deleted.

I cannot stress strongly enough the O.P's friend should hand it in at the earliest opportunity, document all interactions and seek actual legal advice after.

1 last point all phone calls with FSA are recorded for quality control and training, if the FAL holder in question genuinely believes he was being threatened lay a complaint with the FSA.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Pumps were banned on the second round along with certain types of pistol chassis IIRC.
    He probably tried handing it in on the first go, which caused the confusion.

I had a Troy PAR I had to hand in. I had to make a special trip to Masterton to do it as the second round was on a lot smaller scale.
    Unfortunately, he seems to have been caught in the crossfire. It's not uncommon to see banned items on trademe that folks don't realize are illegal now.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

@Tedz50 “some pumps,lever actions and even magazines”. What lever actions? There’s heaps of them around the place.

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    @Tedz50 “some pumps,lever actions and even magazines”. What lever actions? There’s heaps of them around the place.
    Lever actions with fixed magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds (common with .22 and some longer barrelled pistol calibre lever actions).
    Also some bolt actions (again the ones with a mag capacity greater than 10 rounds).

Lots of people got good money for Grandads shot out BSA or their $250 Norinco .22 Lever.

Goes to show what an abysmal failure the communications have been on the firearms law changes - 5 years later and people still have no idea what's going on or how it works.

As with anything police related these days, get him to call a firearms lawyer - Grant Fletcher or Nick Taylor are both good options. The initial call will be free where the can give him an idea of the process, options, and cost. At worst they'll be able to help him navigate dealing with the police without them coming after him for anything else, and at best may be able to push back in some places.
    Husky1600#2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    1 last point all phone calls with FSA are recorded for quality control and training, if the FAL holder in question genuinely believes he was being threatened lay a complaint with the FSA.
    Absolute waste of time making a complaint, they will at best miss the point, slide and gaslight the complaint, even when they were clearly in the wrong. Save the ink and paper.

Pick your battles very carefully to avoid stickig your head to far above the parapet, this was actually said by the interviewer when he realised that he may not have been quite correct. (actually he was far off the mark)