Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Separate Ammo Compartment in a Safe

thank god we dont have a legal act for wiping your arse cause wed all be doing it wrong .

At the last FCAF meeting we were presented with statistics on gun thefts. A lot of them occured because the burgular auctually found the keys. Police are also very concerned with criminals being able to get their hands on ammo to feed their illegal guns, and they are doing everything to prevent crims getting their hands on ammo. So when you put those 2 issues together you can see why the AO's push what they have been told to push.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, everyone! I’ve decided to go with the ammo tin padlocked inside the safe as many of you suggested. I’ll also make sure the keys are kept separate as recommended to stay on the safe side. Much appreciated!
    [ INZHS ] >

Quote Originally Posted by veryfuturistic View Post
    Relevant portion of the Arms Regulations 1992 for those who are interested

In addition to the condition in subclause (1)(b) relating to ammunition, ammu‐
    nition must be stored—
    (a) in its own secure storage container (such as a cash box or an ammunition
    box that is in secure storage or in a stout locked cupboard) that has—
    (i) a locking mechanism that has a key or combination number that
    is different from the key or combination number for the person’s
    container for firearms; or
    (ii) a padlock that has a key or combination number that is different
    from the key or combination number for the person’s container for
    firearms; or
    (b) in a lock box in a gun safe cabinet that has a different key from the key
    for the gun safe cabinet, and the key for the gun safe cabinet must be
    stored in a different place from the other key; or
    (c) if the ammunition is bulky and difficult to store in a container, in a
    locked room or storage area on the licence holder’s premises that—
    (i) is of sufficiently robust construction to prevent the theft of the
    ammunition; and
    (ii) has been inspected and approved by a member of the Police

When renewing I had a funny experience with the ammo safe. Had a padlocked/deadbolted cupboard which I used (one may have described it as "stout"), well separate from safe. Not up to snuff, needs to be a locked container. My reckons about someone being able to abscond with a container easier than a cupboard were brushed aside. In any case I bought some ammo tins, padlocked them, and now they go in the locked cupboard. I don't really know if that was the correct application of the regulations but as @m101a1 said, no point arguing when it cost me $50 to do it their way.
    Thanks for providing that, I was wrong to question it and will now move a key off one key ring on to another to comply
    RV1, veryfuturistic and ASap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veryfuturistic View Post
    Relevant portion of the Arms Regulations 1992 for those who are interested

In addition to the condition in subclause (1)(b) relating to ammunition, ammu‐
    nition must be stored—
    (a) in its own secure storage container (such as a cash box or an ammunition
    box that is in secure storage or in a stout locked cupboard) that has—
    (i) a locking mechanism that has a key or combination number that
    is different from the key or combination number for the person’s
    container for firearms; or
    (ii) a padlock that has a key or combination number that is different
    from the key or combination number for the person’s container for
    firearms; or
    (b) in a lock box in a gun safe cabinet that has a different key from the key
    for the gun safe cabinet, and the key for the gun safe cabinet must be
    stored in a different place from the other key; or
    (c) if the ammunition is bulky and difficult to store in a container, in a
    locked room or storage area on the licence holder’s premises that—
    (i) is of sufficiently robust construction to prevent the theft of the
    ammunition; and
    (ii) has been inspected and approved by a member of the Police

When renewing I had a funny experience with the ammo safe. Had a padlocked/deadbolted cupboard which I used (one may have described it as "stout"), well separate from safe. Not up to snuff, needs to be a locked container. My reckons about someone being able to abscond with a container easier than a cupboard were brushed aside. In any case I bought some ammo tins, padlocked them, and now they go in the locked cupboard. I don't really know if that was the correct application of the regulations but as @m101a1 said, no point arguing when it cost me $50 to do it their way.
    Thanks that is quite interesting.

I note there is no mention of the key for the ammo storage and the safe being stored in different places until "b" and b has the ammunition stored in the gun safe.
    Thinking about this it is quite logical that the key for the ammo container and key for the safe should be stored in separate places because if both keys are together then if they find the key for the safe then they have the key for the ammo.

If the ammo is stared somewhere else and the safe in a different location, then they have to find the location of both before they have access to both if the keys are stored in the same place.
    veryfuturistic likes this.