Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: Small Retailers Struggling/Under attack

Iv never had a credit card so i dont have a problem.

I visited a small gun store last week with an owner I've known for 25 years. they have not sold a firearm since February
    normally they would have sold 10 shotguns during March and April. no rifles sold over the road. it's a fact of life, and if they go under, so be it. But they are the only gun store within 45 mins drive in any direction. is this the future? also interesting to hear that guncity is looking to expand into the central north island - I work with several real estate agents who are fielding inquiries
    308 likes this.

Anyone watch the TV news tonight?
    Everyone is hurting.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Anyone watch the TV news tonight?
    Everyone is hurting.
    Yeeeup that is the truth right there!
    Trust the dog.........................................ALWAYS Trust the dog!!

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
    I visited a small gun store last week with an owner I've known for 25 years. they have not sold a firearm since February
    normally they would have sold 10 shotguns during March and April. no rifles sold over the road. it's a fact of life, and if they go under, so be it. But they are the only gun store within 45 mins drive in any direction. is this the future? also interesting to hear that guncity is looking to expand into the central north island - I work with several real estate agents who are fielding inquiries
    Well I drove past Trev Terry/Hamills in Taupo on Friday and its all packed up and gone. So I guess GC see an opportunity in Taupo??

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Well I drove past Trev Terry/Hamills in Taupo on Friday and its all packed up and gone. So I guess GC see an opportunity in Taupo??
    There's talk Sarin is starting up again.
    Ross Nolan, XR500 and Borris like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    There's talk Sarin is starting up again.
    I believe the demise of Hamills (Taupo) was brought about by the failure of Trev Terry Marine - receivership/bankrupt/whatever.
    I hope Sarin can pick up some pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by no1_49er View Post
    I believe the demise of Hamills (Taupo) was brought about by the failure of Trev Terry Marine - receivership/bankrupt/whatever.
    I hope Sarin can pick up some pieces.
    I've seen a bit on FB about Hammils building new store I maybe wrong though.

Sent from my CPH2531 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and Sika 8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    I've seen a bit on FB about Hammils building new store I maybe wrong though.

Sent from my CPH2531 using Tapatalk
    I saw something like that as well, don't know him personally but they were always great to deal with online.

Taupo is the logical place for a hammils ...pretty sure I saw HQ in Rotorua....it is after all a trout gear firm at its heart....keep it small with limited staff in a owner operated shop and it SHOULD survive...rented premises and big staff will always struggle in hard times.
    techno retard likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Taupo is the logical place for a hammils ...pretty sure I saw HQ in Rotorua....it is after all a trout gear firm at its heart....keep it small with limited staff in a owner operated shop and it SHOULD survive...rented premises and big staff will always struggle in hard times.
    If they replicate the service that the Tauranga shop provides then hamills will do very well. Small, personal and always sell you the right item (not what’s necessarily on the shop shelf) They txt you when stuff comes in and nothing is ever a problem.

10/10 from me. I try and put all my business through them
    striker, Bryan, 308 and 5 others like this.

Judging from the number of queries on this site about "bringing this or that in from overseas".... is it any wonder our independent Sports retailers are struggling ?
    Yes... we pay a premium down here, and yes, I've been guilty of trading with China, and yes, some importers need to up their game on after sales service, and some on "pre sales service" as well. But the premium prices we pay at local retailers are because of our small population, the cost of retail leases, insurance, staffing, legal compliances etc etc... the list just goes on for them. And we as hunting store customers know all this, and know it well if your in business yourself.
    I'm now happy to pay the price of being able to live in the best little hunting country on the Planet, and be able to roam unrestricted with a pack and rifle, hunt 7 days a week 365 days a year without charge or Big Game bag limits. Land tenure taken into account of course.
    So all that just says.... support our retailers or lament their passing. It rests on our shoulders and Visa has nothing to do with it.
    The cost of the gear pales into insignificance compared to the free hunting on offer.

Rant over, and hot barrels..... NIMROD

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    If they replicate the service that the Tauranga shop provides then hamills will do very well. Small, personal and always sell you the right item (not what’s necessarily on the shop shelf) They txt you when stuff comes in and nothing is ever a problem.

10/10 from me. I try and put all my business through them
    And the same goes for Rivers To Ranges here in Hastings
    BRADS and 6x47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    And the same goes for Rivers To Ranges here in Hastings
    The Rangiora branch is excellent too.

Pity our H&F isn't as good as other branches, the Kaikoura one is good. I can visit our one in the lunch break now its across the carpark but don't as mostly they never have my size in anything.
    Matt2308 likes this.
    Happy Jack.

My closest small retailer has firearms as a secondary income, that's how they have survived.
    Micky Duck likes this.