Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Ammo Direct

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree308Likes

Thread: Small Retailers Struggling/Under attack

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    What is with all the doom and gloom fellahs? You can’t take it with you when you croak so fuck the economic times and get about spending what you can while you are still sucking air into your lungs. I am passionate about my firearms sporting interests and have bought two new firearms and shitloads of ammo this year and I have recently had telephone discussions with a small firearms retailer 180 kilometres from here and have every intention of visiting them to make a purchase as soon as the FSA has done their bit (will probably be Friday).
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

STC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    What is with all the doom and gloom fellahs? You can’t take it with you when you croak so fuck the economic times and get about spending what you can while you are still sucking air into your lungs. I am passionate about my firearms sporting interests and have bought two new firearms and shitloads of ammo this year and I have recently had telephone discussions with a small firearms retailer 180 kilometres from here and have every intention of visiting them to make a purchase as soon as the FSA has done their bit (will probably be Friday).
    good for you!

other people might simply not need additional firearms and might want to spend their money on other things like... you know... feeding their kids... heating their homes... paying their mortgages, or maybe just saving a bit... boring stuff like that that will make some people call them gloomy... I am just glad they do not have to ask you for permission as to what they do with their money...

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Yes. It’s about independent choices. More power to your arm Rushy. You spending your surplus does not mean others have to spend up and add to their deficit.
    tetawa and schwen like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

While I'm out there purchasing my new rifle heard the local Ford Dealer was in for tuff times, picked up a new ute, the Ford Dealer said the Home Appliance store was struggling, may have to pickup new fridge and stove. Just heard the local builder was short of work,- where will it end.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    While I'm out there purchasing my new rifle heard the local Ford Dealer was in for tuff times, picked up a new ute, the Ford Dealer said the Home Appliance store was struggling, may have to pickup new fridge and stove. Just heard the local builder was short of work,- where will it end.
    Whore house, thats where it ends. In divorce
    tetawa, Micky Duck and schwen like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Nothing new here
    Seen it all before

1987 Black Friday stock market crash and the fall out from that was similar

2009 Global Financial Crisis and the fall out was similar

It's called a Correction and we will continue to go through boom and bust cycles
    Nothing new

The key point is too save when times are good and have a little put away for when times are not good

Retailers generally put profits back into increased stock levels which they see as better than money in the bank

Then if there is a correction that stock looses value when you need to sell it.

Some gun shops were drunk on the pre registration but up
    And the dip in sales has been longer and deeper than they might have expected

There are plenty of guns in NZ
    New entrants can get good guns second hand from guys selling down because they have other cost pressures

So it's unlikely the small guys will survive unless they are doing it as a passion project.

The small guys try to hold on until things improve and when it doesn't they loose the lot.

The big guys know when to jump from the sinking ship.
    Torpedo 7 $1 sale and still gone
    Slug, tetawa, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Mid 1980's, with interest mortgage interest rates 20 %, and still 3/4 of Kiwis owned (or were paying off) a home.

Now with the wide variety of shit that's gone down over the past decade or so, interest rates are 'high' at 6%, yet we are at a 70 year home ownership low. People just do not have sufficient disposable to sink into a mortgage, let alone spend on nice-to-haves.

Many of the older people on this forum will be on the fiscally fortunate side of the ledger. But far more people are not as fortunate. Hence why a wide variety of businesses are doing it tough.

4 years ago we relocated/did up our current home. About 80% of the inquiries we made for building materials/services etc were never replied to or answered. They simply had too much work to worry about the niceties of replying.

Doing similar again right now, and every inquiry we make is answered within 24 hours. A written query to an Engineer is replied to within 10 minutes via Email. Most businesses are really struggling for work.
    Kiwi Greg, 7mmwsm, tetawa and 4 others like this.

STC
    Has not even really started yet. wait till central banks are actually lowering rates...

Some of the misery the retailers are suffering may be their own fault.
    Have been a customer of Hamilton Motorcycles since 1999.
    Booked my bike in for a service over the phone told them the make, model, year, what kms service etc.
    Wife and I turn up expecting the normal drop the bike off wander into town do some retail therapy etc.
    But no get the "we cant get it done in one day, takes too long". While there they were looking for a mechanic who hadn't turned up.
    Ended up taking a shop bike home.
    This was on a Wednesday.
    Go back on Saturday to pick up.
    They hadn't fixed indicator LED on dash that had failed. This could have been given to a auto sparky/electronics to get fixed.
    The front disc that were get a bit rubbish, told they will still do, live with them.
    Have since had discs done by local shop in Taupo.
    Had decided I wasn't going back.
    The servicing, tyre replacements and sale of accessories are a motorcycle shops bread and butter and if they don't do it right they go under.
    They went into receivership a day or so ago.
    308, Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Whore house, thats where it ends. In divorce
    You know from experience?

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    You know from experience?
    Ha ha no just a word of warning for the weak minded, I would prefer a jug of beer
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Interest rate were certainly higher back in the day but I'd also suggest the house price and initial deposit wasn't a massive amount. Houses weren't 7 or 8 times a really good wage.
    And yes I'm sure there are cheaper ones about now buy on average there would've been more.

Yip ide gladly trade 20% interest rates for a 80k house
    308, Ross Nolan, Dublin and 3 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Yip ide gladly trade 20% interest rates for a 80k house
    And a batch at the beach or Wanaka for 50k.
    199p and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Interest rate were certainly higher back in the day but I'd also suggest the house price and initial deposit wasn't a massive amount. Houses weren't 7 or 8 times a really good wage.
    And yes I'm sure there are cheaper ones about now buy on average there would've been more.
    Yep. Mid 80's average house price was 3.5 times average wage
    308 likes this.