Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree426Likes

Thread: Thermal Optics under scrutiny?

Quote Originally Posted by woods223 View Post
    “I'd not go with a mounted thermal optic solely due to lack of versatility, dusk or dark (on private land) it'd be handy but during mid summer sun I think it would become a handicap.”

Been there, done that. Using higher quality thermal scopes and adjusting colour palette, brightness and contrast to suit conditions they can be very effective during daytime use. Takes some getting used to but perfectly useful.
    Yes but I like to count the eyelashes before I pull the trigger nah I am sure a decent one would be fine.

Cat is out of the bag already... can't put the genie back in the bottle etc etc.

I don't use a thermal scope but I do use a spotter.

Handy tool if you know how to use them. The fact the Chinese are making them to a decent standard means you will always be able to acquire them.

So I take it from the comments so far, it's OK to use a thermal to get your animal/trophy?
    But from other discussions, not a helicopter?
    Where's the line?
    tetawa, Tentman, woods223 and 5 others like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    So I take it from the comments so far, it's OK to use a thermal to get your animal/trophy?
    But from other discussions, not a helicopter?
    Where's the line?
    I don’t think there is a line. Ethical hunting belongs to the individual, not to the hunting community. But we should all obey the law.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I use thermal about 60% of my hunting time as there's so many deer around in morning and evening light before dark.About trophy's,I'd never put a thermal shot deer on the wall and claim it as trophy.I do have a little bit of ethical hunting in mind.

Initially I thought ‘fuck you Dave Benfell’ but then again he’s allowed his opinion. Personally, when when culling animals I’ll use whatever equipment I can if it helps to get numbers. But when hunting recreationally the use of thermals is a no go for me. Using a thermal makes it ‘spot and shoot’, removes the hunting challenge. Hunting presently has never been easier compared to 80-90’s, handheld thermals aren’t needed. Just my opinion, others will probably disagree. Lastly, I no longer regularly buy Rod and Rifle and probably won’t while Benfell is the editor.
    I understand you personal view here, but as you are out hunting 4x a week or so you are in a very different position to someone who only goes out once every 6 months to try to get a deer for the freezer. Given limited time and limited chances, the occasional hunter will gratefully accept any advantage offered.
    As @Tahr said, hunting ethics are something for the individual to be comfortable with.
    The R&R editor sounds like the person that would have knocked optical sights (scopes) when they were first introduced. We all know where that has gone.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

“I'd not go with a mounted thermal optic solely due to lack of versatility, dusk or dark (on private land) it'd be handy but during mid summer sun I think it would become a handicap.”

Been there, done that. Using higher quality thermal scopes and adjusting colour palette, brightness and contrast to suit conditions they can be very effective during daytime use. Takes some getting used to but perfectly useful.
    The rifle mounted thermal/ nv has same problems the rifle mounted torch/spotlight has....where you look ,you point the danger end of your bang sticks. This is why heldheld ONLY is the right call from safety point of view on public land. No issue at all with doing the finding and SOME of the I'd thing with thermal handheld and shooting with torch that's rifle mounted on private land of course. The hut possum being only exception I would make.
    Bol Tackshin, Finnwolf and Ned like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    I use thermal about 60% of my hunting time as there's so many deer around in morning and evening light before dark.About trophy's,I'd never put a thermal shot deer on the wall and claim it as trophy.I do have a little bit of ethical hunting in mind.
    Always been the same with spotlight shot deer...it's not really a trophy....sort of deal. The hard won small set of antlers means so much more than the one that you "cheated" to acquire. It's almost like paying for a deer to shoot...and I've said before that's not hell of a lot different to paying for the oldest profession of them all. You no pay you no get bang!!!
    Trout, woods223, Tech and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I don’t think there is a line. Ethical hunting belongs to the individual, not to the hunting community. But we should all obey the law.
    I agree.
    But I actually hate the word ethical. Often people use the word ethical to reassure themselves about something they have done which may be controversial.
    Overkill is still dead.

Was out last night and this morning did a quick hunt in bush block on way home. Got a few goats and saw some more on ridge about 800 m away. Too far for 223 and couldn’t be arsed spending maybe an hour to get closer but if I’d had 300 Win. with me would have been game on. When it’s a numbers game I’ll use whatever gear I can to improve the odds but if out for a recreational shoot it’s just me, rifle, rangefinder maybe and the animals. As @Shearer said, I’m hunting regularly so I can comfortably take this stance. Others less fortunate may wish to take advantage off using whatever gear gets them an animal, fair enough if it’s legal. Handheld thermal is just another tool. It’s up to the individual to decide upon their ‘hunting ethics’.
    veitnamcam, BRADS, Shearer and 2 others like this.

Isn't ethics a wonderful thing , it is whatever we decide it is ? So what is the diference ? between using a thermal monocular and using a dog .
    7mmwsm, carlhurley, mikee and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    Isn't ethics a wonderful thing , it is whatever we decide it is ? So what is the diference ? between using a thermal monocular and using a dog .
    Feed a dog mutton flaps the night before heading away....and suddenly having a thermal monocular inside wagon with you instead is more attractive. But the thermal won't come for a cuddle if you arse up in creek or slip in the mud.it won't be happy to see you come home from work,nor will it gives you many years of love n devotion.

Every man and his dog seem to have them around this area pushed by local H&F and i haven't worked out how some are paying for them,
    I think its another tool in the box. And no i have never used one
    I remember when tracking collars come out, you weren't a real pig hunter if you used collars, there wouldn't be many pig dogs that don't have a collar now.
    Same with you quads/sxs oh that guys lazy using a quad why cant he just walk. its just another tool in the box.
    How things have changed in the last 25years gps,range finders,all your new light weight gear
    Brian, tetawa, Micky Duck and 4 others like this.

I am inclined to go that it is a tool in the box for when needed. I have had the opportunity to have a look through the thermal gear but never purchased one. However- everyone here seems to be using it for finding game- where I found it more useful in locating game that had just been shot- tracking a wounded animal or a dead one that has run for a bit before dropping.

One downside I saw was when a guy was using one to spotlight rabbits. Man we saw some rabbits through it, but when you rescanned a paddock, the dead ones were still warm so we had issues trying to work out which ones already had holes and which ones still needed one......
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Every man and his dog seem to have them around this area pushed by local H&F and i haven't worked out how some are paying for them,
    I think its another tool in the box. And no i have never used one
    I remember when tracking collars come out, you weren't a real pig hunter if you used collars, there wouldn't be many pig dogs that don't have a collar now.
    Same with you quads/sxs oh that guys lazy using a quad why cant he just walk. its just another tool in the box.
    How things have changed in the last 25years gps,range finders,all your new light weight gear
    I'd imagine the green economy pays for a lot of toys like that.
    Micky Duck, norsk and Jukes like this.