Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree426Likes

Thread: Thermal Optics under scrutiny?

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I am inclined to go that it is a tool in the box for when needed. I have had the opportunity to have a look through the thermal gear but never purchased one. However- everyone here seems to be using it for finding game- where I found it more useful in locating game that had just been shot- tracking a wounded animal or a dead one that has run for a bit before dropping.

One downside I saw was when a guy was using one to spotlight rabbits. Man we saw some rabbits through it, but when you rescanned a paddock, the dead ones were still warm so we had issues trying to work out which ones already had holes and which ones still needed one......
    Easy: use a 22.250 on the wabbits. Very easy to tell which ones have become a 'hole'
    timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ojc2 View Post
    Very true, if it's not plain old mis-identification during the day, it's plain old criminal spotlighting at night that does it. If anything, thermal is probably safer to an extent, not that I am condoning either of the two.

Well opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one, even Dave Benfell. I've never hunted with one, but wouldn't go as far as to not use a monocular. I'd not go with a mounted thermal optic solely due to lack of versatility, dusk or dark (on private land) it'd be handy but during mid summer sun I think it would become a handicap.

Check this out, problem solved

https://nightvision.co.nz/product/dn...ic-calculator/

NZAHAA is the NZ Antique and Historical Arms Association , ok then what the hell does a antique and historical arms outfit , need , want , anything to do with thermal scopes ? , or am I missing something here which is possible .
    Trout, MB, m101a1 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    NZAHAA is the NZ Antique and Historical Arms Association , ok then what the hell does a antique and historical arms outfit , need , want , anything to do with thermal scopes ? , or am I missing something here which is possible .
    Exactly. I think there is something fishy here. From a believer in thermal technology

ethics

Strictly speaking ethics are not up to the individual. Ethics is an agreed group code of conduct. Morality is the individual version of it.

For my two cents my morals permit the use of thermals for whatever you want to use them for, it only gets dubious when you start comparing apples to oranges. (my thermals found stag to your months of stalking stag etc)
    canross, Calikiwi and John Duxbury like this.

I guess you lot (and the North Americans) have the 'issue' of competition when it comes to public land hunting. What's to stop shooting before and after sunrise/sunset when you have gear that lets you locate and shoot in total darkness?

For context, I have the big Nightforce remote handle spotty (drilled roof ) on both work and personal Hilux.

Pulled into the agri for dog food one day and local farmer who I know was having a yarn with someone who was probably a gamekeeper.

'Ah the local poacher has arrived!' , finger pointing to the roof, which was the joke. Obviously I am not, as I have no interest in doing anything with game birds and I have more than enough deer to deal with in work time.

My comeback was, 'But you see me coming and the minute I turn that on, you'd have one foot out the door already!'

Truth is that literally every man and his dog has a thermal spotter and/or scope now, easy to get due to finance deals and no shortage of secondhand either.

The most dangerous vehicle to see on the country lane is the shabby white Ford/Volk panel van... but you lot already know about those!

Name:  20220624_143336.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  1.18 MB
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    You have the wrong end of the stick here. The report was a written report for NZAHAA members and was reporting on the FCAF meeting, which i was also at. FSA are now very interested as shooters using one could aparently accidently shoot a person. So they have been doing some shooting with one to evalulate them. I doubt they will be banned because there are so many out there now, but this issue wont go away and could end up with some legislation dumped on shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Jones View Post
    You have the wrong end of the stick here. The report was a written report for NZAHAA members and was reporting on the FCAF meeting, which i was also at. FSA are now very interested as shooters using one could aparently accidently shoot a person. So they have been doing some shooting with one to evalulate them. I doubt they will be banned because there are so many out there now, but this issue wont go away and could end up with some legislation dumped on shooters.
    How do you "do some shooting" with a hand held thermal????
    veitnamcam, Trout, Slug and 4 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Eggzachary.... Thus heldheld is safer as can help with id. Think about adds a year or more back,thermal photos of people vs deer. You still have to do the proper eyeball it enough to tick them boxes.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Ethics are not up to the individual, in hunting or in anything else. That is the whole point of them. I think there is a complete misunderstanding of Jose Ortega Y Gasset going on here:

The full quote related to ethics and hunting :

The essence of hunting or fishing involves a complete code of ethics of the most distinguished design. The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak and the passing animal.

The point is not that hunting ethics is up to the individual, but rather the individual keeps his ethics even when he has no witnesses to hold him to them.

You immoral Heathens.
    BRADS and whanahuia like this.

Mr Leupold has very similar quote.
    Jukes likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

No surprise, But I agree with David Benefall.

But yeah lets face it, NZ hunting community as a whole has no ethics or morals. Id go further and state there is also a lack of common sense that permits such.
    7mmwsm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Duxbury View Post
    Ethics are not up to the individual, in hunting or in anything else. That is the whole point of them. I think there is a complete misunderstanding of Jose Ortega Y Gasset going on here:

The full quote related to ethics and hunting :

The essence of hunting or fishing involves a complete code of ethics of the most distinguished design. The sportsman who accepts the sporting code of ethics keeps his commandments in the greatest solitude with no witnesses or audience other than the sharp peaks of the mountain, the stern oak and the passing animal.

The point is not that hunting ethics is up to the individual, but rather the individual keeps his ethics even when he has no witnesses to hold him to them.

You immoral Heathens.
    Im not so lacking in independence and judgement that I will allow my hunting ethical decisions to be led by a collection of edicts from people I neither know or who's judgement I might not respect. Your friend Duxbury would have agreed with me.
    Trout, mikee, Micky Duck and 1 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

The NZAHAA are invited to attend the FCAF meetings as they represent a part of the nz firearms community, and usually provide an email update to the NZAHAA members of all items discussed at the meetings. Thermals were one of many items raised at the meeting that they reported back on. To be clear, the NZAHAA did not raise the issue of thermals, just advised their members of it.
    308 and canross like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Im not so lacking in independence and judgement that I will allow my hunting ethical decisions to be led by a collection of edicts from people I neither know or who's judgement I might not respect. Your friend Duxbury would have agreed with me.
    That seems like an unusually libertarian-esque opinion from you Mr Tahr
    You're learning!
    Sorry, just being cheeky
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Trout and 1 others like this.