Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Ammo Direct

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree426Likes

Thread: Thermal Optics under scrutiny?

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    But its not used to target deer. So if the reason for allowing thermal use is deer are a pest, then should the 1080 rules be changed?
    That one too
    75/15/10 black powder matters

So I see a theme developing. Ive seen it before too. It never happens in time though. Should we not be able to come up with sensible limitations on new tech if we can foreshadow its Mis-use and know that such will lead to an impingement of freedoms on us all?

10 shot mag anyone?
    Ok I see a point here.sensible limit has ALREADY been drawn...not mounted on rifle is pretty clear,when in conjuction with no shooting during hours of darkness. Which in itself is daft if have small game permit and could target possums to prevent need for poison drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    The example of ducks and semi autos is relevant, but maybe not as intended.
    Some areas did have crashed populations but I believe that was more due to land use changes than semi auto shotguns. The situation has to be viewed in its entirety, not just through the lens you wish to examine.

Deer are the same. We all hunt for different reasons. I live on venison and gamebirds - probably 10% or less of my meat is bought. Notwithstanding that, I think of hunting as worshipping in the outdoor church - it is good for my soul. I don't trophy hunt - after 40+ years of hunting I have a single set of tusks, and a antler I found in a creek on a special day. I'm thinking about a thermal, but in no rush to buy, and to answer a previous question, I prefer hinds and yearlings, but I'll happily shoot a stag if that's what is on offer.

Who (anybody) are you to dictate what is right for me?
    I didnt say any of the things I mentioned were the cause of the collapse. I said when it came time to limit easier killing in the face of collapse, there was resistance.

Im also not talking about whats right for you. Im not heading down to the individual level. But thats part of my point. You all are proving my point.

Its got nothing to do with pest control, animal management, any other factor that we see used as excuses so often. Its about what each of you wants.

I missed this earlier. This is the kind of honesty I was after in asking the 1080/pest questions.

I understand your position and have no real problem with it.

hell Id take you for a hunt any day. My overall worry is that hunters get too accustomed too using thermal. Right now thats no problem. But if the situation changes and we dont need it as a kill maximiser. Who would volunteer to give it up?
    You know the funny part about this???? When guys are out in open targeting deer,the deer take to the bush...like they did to avoid airborne meathawks. The tahr learnt to dive into caves and deer in open learnt to lay down in any cover...and taught it to next generation. We will not whipe the herds out. Been tried for years.yes this could well thing them out BUT the lazy hunters will still be lazy. We have a whole heap of younguns whos idea of hunting is out window of ute on private land with spotlight or thermal...or shoot close to truck in daylight,often not even retrieving animal... They have zero interest in doing the hard yards to get animal in the bush and carry it out to eat..why bother when can buy KFC or Burger King??? We grew up through hard financial Times so our whole mindset to game animal meat is different. Along similar slippery slope lines. How many photos get published of stags shot in velvet??? Yet even ten years ago that was frowned upon. NZDA used to very much disapprove of shooting stag in velvet. Now that in many places numbers are high ,it's become more normal to do so...not my cuppa tea.
    No.3, turtleSO and Twodiffs like this.

It's got everything to do with animal number management. If the recreational hunters shoot more,the govt won't have to do so,either by poison or Arial culling.
    BRADS and Ross Nolan like this.

Ferk, this is getting more like Facebook everyday
    Percy Jones, matagouri and kbrebs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by turtleSO View Post
    Ferk, this is getting more like Facebook everyday
    I thought it was........just with less adds

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    I'm not a member. Have considered it, but never took the next step.
    Happy to host you in and get you engaged. Some good club hunts coming up.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by ojc2 View Post
    Cheers, just found it now. https://rodandrifle.co.nz/articles/a...-october-2024/

"Recently, I attended my first meeting of the Firearms Community Advisory Forum; it’s great to have a seat at the table and the ability to meet regularly to have our opinions, concerns and voices heard. One point I’m concerned about, which I raised, is the recent Department of Conservation approval of using handheld thermal devices during daylight on our public conservation land. I’d like to open a debate about this, as I don’t agree with it from a ‘fair chase’ point of view and, more importantly, I don’t believe it’s safe. I realise my opinion won’t be popular with some, however, I have strong views on it, and I’ll always stand up for what I believe. Long term, I think we need to be very cautious as to what technology we allow into hunting in NZ. I don’t believe thermals have a place on our public conservation land. Look for an upcoming article from me detailing my views on the ethical aspect, the spirit of hunting and my safety concerns."

That'll help me save for some thermals, won't waste money subscribing to that magazine.
    This kind of person is known in the firearms community as a "Fudd". They're known for being against every other part of the firearms and hunting community that they aren't personally interested in.

Also funny he's hiding behind the safety argument. I personally it's unsafe to not use a thermal because it's another layer of target identification.

And there it is. David has attempted to start an adult conversation and publicly aired his opinion. If we take this forum and thread as a snapshot of the hunting community, Instead of adult thought out response we get cancel culture threats of not buying his magazine, and the fucking tired and pathetic Fudd name calling.
    Calikiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    This kind of person is known in the firearms community as a "Fudd". They're known for being against every other part of the firearms and hunting community that they aren't personally interested in.

Also funny he's hiding behind the safety argument. I personally it's unsafe to not use a thermal because it's another layer of target identification.

So you know Dave?
    From your comments, I doubt it.
    whanahuia likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

If thermals help the average hunter control some of the booming numbers in the Forest Parks I support it fully.
    Deer numbers are really getting out of hand, our Neighbours shot 250 deer in last month all from from the Ruahines.
    People Need to shoot more deer, I don't like waste but numbers are to high and Im happy to shoot and Scoot as I think it's better than the alternatives...

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 11-09-2024 at 09:12 AM.
    Tahr, 308, Mathias and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    If thermals help the average hunter control some of the booming numbers in the Forest Parks I support it fully.
    Deer numbers are really getting out of hand, our Neighbours shot 250 deer in last month all from from the Ruahines.
    People Need to shoot more deer, I don't like waste but numbers are to high and Im happy to shoot and Scoot as I think it's better than the alternatives...

250 Deer on Pasture land?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    250 Deer on Pasture land?
    Coming out of the forest park on to pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post

I work in the Ag business and we have a few customers up the Pohangina and Kawhatau (western Ruahine) that were shooting similar numbers of deer, they are being thrown into a gorge at the back of the farm.
    Cropping time is fast approaching and the deer will be out in force again and the hired guns will be back, thermals will play a massive part.
    Marty Henry likes this.