Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ammo Direct Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree426Likes

Thread: Thermal Optics under scrutiny?

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    I want people to give the real reason they want to use thermals.
    When you are a 70 yr old with 2 knee replacements and time poor.Thermals help you get a few meat animals each summer.Only go out about twice a month.Been using thermals for 10yrs,not going to change now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    When you are a 70 yr old with 2 knee replacements and time poor.Thermals help you get a few meat animals each summer.Only go out about twice a month.Been using thermals for 10yrs,not going to change now.
    Im sorry @Trout. I wasn't intending that as personnel. its just your comment summed up well what i see alot.

The reason you give now is a much better one in my opinion.
    Trout likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Sheez louise, 250 is huge numbers - I bet the quality and health of the animals sucked.
    Na rather the opposite. There low numbers in this area.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Im sorry @Trout. I wasn't intending that as personnel. its just your comment summed up well what i see alot.

The reason you give now is a much better one in my opinion.
    No problem mate,life's to short to be all anti.
    Micky Duck and whanahuia like this.

I don't have time to read through 9 pages of opinions but I agree with the writer. There is a safety concern. People accidentally shoot sheep in the head because they think its a hare because the animals body is in a dip. Without thermal identification training this is worrying.

Not arguing it's effectiveness just safety.

[QUOTE=Grantn;1613684]I don't have time to read through 9 pages of opinions but I agree with the writer. There is a safety concern. People accidentally shoot sheep in the head because they think its a hare because the animals body is in a dip. Without thermal identification training this is worrying.

yes but is that fact or fiction - do you know for sure that happened or did you hear it some where - did it happen on your property - I am not interested in what might happen- thermals are a tool for hunters to use - simple as that - shooting after dark is still illegal on DOC land we are not talking about thermal scopes on DOC land rather hand held thermals and they are an aid
    Last edited by Barry the hunter; 11-09-2024 at 08:58 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

If you shot a sheep in head because you think it's a hare...you did not positively identify your target FULLSTOP... Thermal,spotlight,scope,binos,or open sights don't matter.YOU failed to do your bit.YOU didn't do the ticks off the list.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

dead right Mickey Duck dont blame the apparatus if the user is wonky
    Micky Duck likes this.

Fair enough. It takes a lot out of the hunt for me personally but each to their own. It definitely drives some desparity, only the wealthy can afford them. Plus there seems to be more and more of a desire for people to take the easiest route vs the most rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    If you shot a sheep in head because you think it's a hare...you did not positively identify your target FULLSTOP... Thermal,spotlight,scope,binos,or open sights don't matter.YOU failed to do your bit.YOU didn't do the ticks off the list.
    Bang on, no pun intended. It does not matter what law abiding and ethical hunters use as tools to hunt with, they will still follow the rules of the day and take the safety precautions. Should we be restricting access to new tech because of the lowest denominator? What about the next bit of tech? It's a bit like back in the day banning helicopters because one might crash...
    Trout, Micky Duck and Roarless20 like this.

Hmmm. I know several professional nightshooters and 4 of them have related first hand mis-identification cock-ups using thermal or night vision aiming devices resulting a dead critter of the wrong species in 3 of them (the 4th was lucky the target beastie was actually 1km away).

For those who say "it won't happen to me" I call bullshit, in any daylight hunting situation I'd trust my life with all 4 of em.

Rifle mounted -it's a problem. The DOC handheld rule is very sound. I don't own a thermal but have hunted with guys using them, they are an excellent aid both day and night, no different to any other aid we might use.
    7mmwsm, Micky Duck, norsk and 2 others like this.

Yeah I'm happy with that answer but do I full trust people to understand the difference in heat signatures and make the right call. Kind of but not 100% that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hmmm. I know several professional nightshooters and 4 of them have related first hand mis-identification cock-ups using thermal or night vision aiming devices resulting a dead critter of the wrong species in 3 of them (the 4th was lucky the target beastie was actually 1km away).

For those who say "it won't happen to me" I call bullshit, in any daylight hunting situation I'd trust my life with all 4 of em.

Rifle mounted -it's a problem. The DOC handheld rule is very sound. I don't own a thermal but have hunted with guys using them, they are an excellent aid both day and night, no different to any other aid we might use.
    Yep have used them a bit. Pulsar mainly, and tech might be better now, its been two years. but the capacity for interpretation/ Mis-interpretation was there. Is it a pig? is it a calf? Our eye is sending messages too our brain and we interpret them. Anything between the two is a filter and requires increased interpretation.
    Grantn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantn View Post
    Fair enough. It takes a lot out of the hunt for me personally but each to their own. It definitely drives some desparity, only the wealthy can afford them. Plus there seems to be more and more of a desire for people to take the easiest route vs the most rewarding.
    You don't have to be wealthy to buy thermal gear,just use yr money for what you want.Some guys have 8 rifles,I only have one.Some guys have 4k day scopes on their rifles,I have a $330 day scope to fit my 4k thermal clipon on.
    Happy Jack likes this.

Yeah fair enough. In hindsight maybe it's also the purist of the chase in me and takes some knowledge out of the chase. Maybe I just need to embrace that it's a new technology that's here to stay
    Trout likes this.