Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree872Likes

Thread: Useing the firearms register

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    Has anyone else started to have a crack at it.

I have 5 firearms, of those:
    - recently purchased off the shelf Rossi 17HMR isn't in the "catalog" ... need to ring up
    - browning trombone is only available in a 11,12, or 15 round mag option (no "I got mine fixed for 10 max") ... need to ring up
    - off the shelf Chiappa 22 isn't in the catalog ... need to ring up
    - Savage 22 is in the catalog, but has detachable mag listed as "N/A". Given the massive warnings about be prosecuted for incorrect info I'm scared to go with N/A with the correct answer is Yes ... need to ring up
    - Ruger American, same as above, detachable mag is listed as "N/A"... need to ring up

And the entire system looks like its all forms online but there is some sort of human manual validation going on behind the scenes. I added in my contact details (phone, email) and got a "Your request will be processed according to priority" message (although that went to my newly added email address so... I dunno wtf is going on).

What a massive clusterf**k.
    What you mean catalogue? On the dealer side, while it auto completes, you can enter whatever you like. Is it not the same for the personal one?

I’m a bit late to the game because I’m in Australia at the moment.
    We are going to be doing renovations/ moving address later this year and my security and details will need to be changed/ checked .
    I was going to hold off registration until those changes / circumstances are in effect .
    But I will need to buy some ammo before then , I’ve been getting mixed messages from a few mates I’ve talked to on the phone .
    Does buying ammo trigger the need to register ?
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    I’m a bit late to the game because I’m in Australia at the moment.
    We are going to be doing renovations/ moving address later this year and my security and details will need to be changed/ checked .
    I was going to hold off registration until those changes / circumstances are in effect .
    But I will need to buy some ammo before then , I’ve been getting mixed messages from a few mates I’ve talked to on the phone .
    Does buying ammo trigger the need to register ?

From
    https://www.firearmssafetyauthority....0be%20recorded.

"When arms items must be registered"
    The regulations specify the “activating circumstances” that will trigger licence holders to engage with the Registry, including when licence holders:

apply for a licence or an endorsement
    have a change in circumstances, such as a change of address
    sell or supply, purchase or receive, import, export, manufacture or modify an arms item
    report the theft, loss or destruction of an arms item
    import ammunition
    sell ammunition (dealers and ammunition sellers only)
    purchase ammunition after 24 June 2025, or
    are subject to compliance or enforcement action by Police under the Act or regulations.
    308, MB and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    From
    https://www.firearmssafetyauthority....0be%20recorded.

"When arms items must be registered"
    The regulations specify the “activating circumstances” that will trigger licence holders to engage with the Registry, including when licence holders:

apply for a licence or an endorsement
    have a change in circumstances, such as a change of address
    sell or supply, purchase or receive, import, export, manufacture or modify an arms item
    report the theft, loss or destruction of an arms item
    import ammunition
    sell ammunition (dealers and ammunition sellers only)
    purchase ammunition after 24 June 2025, or
    are subject to compliance or enforcement action by Police under the Act or regulations.
    Cheers Mate

That simplifies / clarifies things for me .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

And C licenced have to ring, cannot do on line?
    Have you seen the Antique Arms report, sounds like fun. Just over an hour on the phone for the first one and just under for the second, you can do max of 13 in a row?
    pac750 and outlander like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Bought a set of scope rings today in Invers and had to supply my firearms licence. Words fail me!!!

and the fustercluck begins
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosts View Post
    Bought a set of scope rings today in Invers and had to supply my firearms licence. Words fail me!!!
    H&Js Outdoor World ? They've been doing it for ages, it's a "management" requirement (strongly opposed and ridiculed to no avail by the shop floor guys) that all things firearm related (as determined by someone other than shop floor guys, inputting inventory into the sales system) need an FAL.

Just another example of someone (in management) mistaking their opinion for a fact!
    tetawa and Finnwolf like this.

I've needed a fal to buy a thread cap before

No different to US shops refusing to ship me scope caps 1 time because they were listed as optical sighting accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    What you mean catalogue? On the dealer side, while it auto completes, you can enter whatever you like. Is it not the same for the personal one?
    On the personal one it wants to lookup a "Firearm reference table ID". You fill out a search form, for example I enter type rifle, make Rossi, manufacturer CBC, calibre 17hmr and search. I am then presented with one option, a Rossi RB17 which has a reference table ID of F0606550. It then gives you an serial number option (which is not visible until you select a valid reference ID).

My rifle is a Rossi 8117. I'm not sure if they are the same action, but they are definitely different stocks and barrels. I don't want to roll the dice on registering my 8117 as an RB17.

The look up tables are confusing, well I have found them so . . . E.g. make versus manufacturer will produce different results.

It's peculiar cause two of my extremely rare Mauser sporters are in the database, but like you, I can't find the Bergara BMR. I did look for your Rossi and I can't find it either, seems that some of the latest models (and going back nearly two years since BMRs were first offered) are not there . . . More time on hold!

My Rossi single shot 308 is not in the look up list, I rang and they told me to use the last option. My rifle has no model no stamped on it and has a different serial no on the barrel to the action, they told me to use the action serial no.

Also in the database each list has a number starting with F tagged on the end, anyone know what that relates to?
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    On the personal one it wants to lookup a "Firearm reference table ID". You fill out a search form, for example I enter type rifle, make Rossi, manufacturer CBC, calibre 17hmr and search. I am then presented with one option, a Rossi RB17 which has a reference table ID of F0606550. It then gives you an serial number option (which is not visible until you select a valid reference ID).

My rifle is a Rossi 8117. I'm not sure if they are the same action, but they are definitely different stocks and barrels. I don't want to roll the dice on registering my 8117 as an RB17.
    Cheers. I'll have a look on the personal side and see how it works. We've got a line of communication to the guys running it so I can get some feedback on that side of it.
    308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
    My Rossi single shot 308 is not in the look up list, I rang and they told me to use the last option.
    I would ask them to confirm that in writing/email before complying.

Remember you clicked Yes to this:

I understand it is an offence to provide information to the Police for inclusion in the Registry, knowing the information to be false or misleading in a material respect (Arms Act 1983, section 58A).*
    This is a legal document, where "close enough" on the phone could equal trouble at inspection.