Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Article

There's been a few, nothing large scale, folks like Jim Clarke etc often moved on a started or even finished dog that was a good field worker but not a great trial prospect, that sort of thing. I only ever did then to order in the past, was always worried about having an excess dog around the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    On a slight side note, I recently read an interesting article in NZHunter about the importance of having a dog hunt for YOU not, for them. Quite a cool article. I know that authour will be slandered for promoting not caring what breed he has or what his dog looks like, but what it does for him. I really appreciated his honesty and to be honest absolute courage!
    Dougie, the writer shouldnt be slandered for anything about which or what breed...the controls, the connection, the desire in the dog to please you, the team work is the same for all breeds...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    There's been a few, nothing large scale, folks like Jim Clarke etc often moved on a started or even finished dog that was a good field worker but not a great trial prospect, that sort of thing. .
    This would be the type of dog I would be interested in next time, in a few years. Was not aware they were occasionally available here.

As far as cost goes I reckon around the 6000 mark would be close if you extrapolate the US prices to NZD and I would suspect even then the trainer would not be rich in any way at all.

Most likely they would have to be doing it part time. Most trainers in the US seem to train multiple dogs at once as they have a much larger market, \

Most good quality shotguns are close to that or more. You can;t shoot it if you cant find it

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Dougie, the writer shouldnt be slandered for anything about which or what breed...the controls, the connection, the desire in the dog to please you, the team work is the same for all breeds...
    Imagine someone rocking up to a trail with an SPCA special.....I think the poor man will be slandered! Not by me of course.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I see a lot of crossbreds on trails.

I assume you mean trials? Unregistered dogs are only allowed to complete in the minor trials of which there are plenty. I'd love to see some SPCA specials there. That'd be cool if rescue dogs competed.

I don't like people intentionally crossbreeding with no forethought but I have absolutely nothing against people who rescue dogs, I think it's great. I couldn't imagine any other trialers having a problem with rescue dogs either.
    Last edited by RCGSP; 25-01-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    Dougie likes this.

This has been a god informative thread Dougie have enjoyed

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Imagine someone rocking up to a trail with an SPCA special.....I think the poor man will be slandered! Not by me of course.
    It is highly unlikely one would rock up with a SPCA special given its hard enough to get a pure bred dog owners to attend ---some people dont like to expose their weaknesses I presume
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Have you guys read the article I am talking about? Last month's NZHunter Mag
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

No -NZ HUNTER great mag in fact the best outdoor magazine in NZ

According to the guy who prints it...
    Bulltahr likes this.

hahahahahaha sprung

I like the fact that you can run a crossbreed in novice trials. I wish we would improve upon that by saying if the cross was beating everything else, that it could go on a limited register to be bred from with pedigreed dogs. obviously passing all the conformation tests etc. - a much better way to improve a breed. The best GSP I have ever seen wasn't registered, wouldn't you use that in your program if the dog was exceptional? Quickest way to improve a breed

A large number of the behind the scenes govt dogs (detector dogs in mail centres and bomb dogs in the airport tarmac etc) are SPCA specials. And they do a great job

Yep. Dogs that find scent in a single repeated environment under little distraction. A mutt of the right cross, you're away laughing. Even better that you can get a dozen of them from the shelter for bugger all. That way you can take 20 of them, start training, and cull as necessary for minimal cost. Out of those 20 there might be two goodies, job done

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I like the fact that you can run a crossbreed in novice trials. I wish we would improve upon that by saying if the cross was beating everything else, that it could go on a limited register to be bred from with pedigreed dogs. obviously passing all the conformation tests etc. - a much better way to improve a breed. The best GSP I have ever seen wasn't registered, wouldn't you use that in your program if the dog was exceptional? Quickest way to improve a breed
    Crossbreds can run in more than novice. They can compete in any minor (non-championship) trial. There's a open PS natural game trial coming up that's open to non-registered dogs.

You're just trying to get a rise out of me with that second part aren't you? You are talking about 2 separate issues in the same statement, unregistered purebreds and crossbreds and you know damn well F1 cross breds are useless producers.