Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: import partnership

early days Kawhia , at the moment I am talking with a Setter man about this and he is quite positive .From there we need to decided where and what lines and if it is from a country that is English language friendly or not as many Europeans don't always speak gods own language .
    Initial thoughts are with Norway but we need FT to help us .
    I have made contact with a Basque breeder in Spain and I can converse with him if need be .One main consideration is the rabies and which would mean a slow shipping process so this also need to be taken into account and truth be told I know little of this .
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

i'm currently waiting out the rabies time on 3 dogs so know all about it.

in my experience the scandinavians have a reputation for charging the most for dogs, even pups are expensive.
    if you have your heart set on getting something from there go for it, but i wouldn't myself.

in terms of value for money the americans are awesome to deal with, and the english/scots are a close second.
    if there are lines suitable in the uk i would be looking there first..... honestly.

Fearn pointer bitch

not a setter but pointer might be interested for eg.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    i'm currently waiting out the rabies time on 3 dogs so know all about it.

in my experience the scandinavians have a reputation for charging the most for dogs, even pups are expensive.
    if you have your heart set on getting something from there go for it, but i wouldn't myself.

in terms of value for money the americans are awesome to deal with, and the english/scots are a close second.
    if there are lines suitable in the uk i would be looking there first..... honestly.
    what is the rabies time period ? Can you pm me your number please .cheers

min 6 mths from time of first jab and micro chip........... if the micro chip and rabies has been done at 3 mths then an adult dog can be shipped after a min period of 3 mths.

pretty sure norway is rabies free, so chances are they don't do the rabies vacs at 3 mths so it would be min 6 month stand down period.

so they cannot ship for 6 months ? and the dog is in quarantine the whole time before shipping ? even from Norway or 6 months just from other countries with Rabies

they stay with who ever will look after them, like the breeder or the seller, not many people will actually do it.
    be prepared to pay boarding fees regardless, and you are paying for vets and feed in pounds,euro or US dollars too... starts to add up over a 6 mth period.
    there are kennels in europe that also do the stand down period prior to shipping........... but work out the daily rate x180 days and you will start feeling a bit light headed............. only 10 days quaratine time once they arrive in nz........ approx 1200 with airport transfers and possible gst to be payed as well.

until recently countries like norway, sweden and the uk did not require rabies requirements, only vet tests for a few things and quarantine over here.
    the rules required for the uk and other countries changed when importing from rabies countries so aust / nz changed it rules too......
    we managed to get one last dog over before it changed.

pm me your mobile Kawhia .cheers

Hope you got deep pockets in those tweeds ? .

Split between 2 its doable,on my own I couldn't do it

you can do it by yourself.............. if you really want it.

for what purpose would I benefit doing it alone,becoming less wealthy ? for me this is not a money venture but a new pup and blood for our setter owners

if it cost you 12k to import a bitch, then how many puppies @ $800-1000 will it take to repay that investment ? {2k if you can export a few}

use your head and import a bitch in pup and providing you have at least 6 pups you are already half way there and will be fully refunded by the time the second litter has left home............... in fact you will be in credit......... just like the gene pool.

who will organize and send a pregnant bitch plus kennel her for 3-6 months--no easy task.I hadnt even considered a financial return only an emotional one to be truthul

you will find good bird hunters and dog breeders all over the world, we all talk the same lingo....... those contacts are worth gold.
    at some stage you need to break even on the money side, we plow everything we clawback right back into the dogs, it's our hobby not a money making venture.

i wouldn't get too hung up on the emotion, no one will thank you in the long run.