Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Ammo Direct

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: proper pointers

no labs and spaniels did that job.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Very interesting post, Pointer...it is curious how we in each country modify the work of the breeds...the retrieve was never a requirement for the EP on the grouse, was it?
    In the UK, correct, they don't expect a retrieve. However, basically every other country in the world does. Widely regarded as not a pointers strong point mind you

in the states on plenty on the big game bird ranches, the flushing is done by the handler, and the retrieve done by labs too.

Threre is no reason you could not employ that here a pointer to hunt and point only .and a lab to plod along just to retrieve. One less thing to train a pointer to do and would perhaps make for a steadier dog ? . Does anyone no of any that do just that . I've owned and hunted lab and gwhp togeather . Itwas a perfect combo but never separated there tasks .

i do at times hunt with a gwp and a spanner, but only work one at a time.
    running a flushing breed with a pointing breed will risk turning your pointer into a long range flusher.

Yes I could see that happening that's why a slightly overweight lab who prefers the company of you as opposed to running round upsetting the quarry would be good

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Yes I could see that happening that's why a slightly overweight lab who prefers the company of you as opposed to running round upsetting the quarry would be good
    ..they aren't hard to find
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

True, flushing by handler is the norm in the states. However the use of a spaniel or lab is an exception rather than a rule over there. Saw a few Youtube Videos of it on US pheasant preserves, the particular breeds of spaniel they were using are queer almost looked like a Clumber! I am visiting a few large pointer kennels stateside next month, will be interesting to see how they do it

boykin ?

Yeah, bloody massive thing, they look pretty lethargic next to some of the UK springers and cockers

how i wish we ad land like Europe ,moors tweed and side by side English stocked guns over setters and pointers
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    So who breeds pointers here, and who will sell me one?

Missus thinks that I made pointers up. When I told you they find game and point to it her response was "bullshit". Im going home to show her that video.

If you use a pointer for rabbits, is it preferable to have it hold and flush the game yourself? Less risk of shooting the dog. Same with deer, obviously it would point, then you would move forward yourself. Can you still work birds if they are trained like this?
    Tussock ,dont hunt fur over a pointer or Setter ,some here say they do but its bad practice if all you really want is to hunt quail, pheasant and chucker--good advice!One other thing tussock if you go English in dogs dress that way to -your lucky enough to be able in the south due to the cold
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by el borracho; 07-08-2012 at 11:16 PM.

]When we put on silly costumes to shoot birds, they come in the form of gillie suits. Its a while since I tried a really long walk in gumboots.[/QUOTE]Silly uniforms are a tradition -Tweed shooting suits look amazing and fit a purpose of warmth and relative dryness .I actually inspired myself to get one and have been browsing the UK sites .A funny out fit is actually a persons show of pride the tradition of their sport of upland game hunting .
    Sadly we in New Zealand have been bought up on a less palatable diet of being basic and a lack of tradition and of flare instead of flare .Check this out and tell me he doesn't look O for Orsome.Dont be scared to be better than average and different from the masses.
    I was at a dog trial many years ago and saw a well known spaniel handler dressed like this -everyone was taking the piss out of him except me -the guy loved tradition and was proud of his sport and dress to reflect it
    Last edited by el borracho; 08-08-2012 at 12:17 AM.

check the way they dress for the sport in the UK .If your interested Tussock I ave some good vids on setters and pointers ill let you use

Ive the Landrover and English Setter just no tweed yet or money lol. I will organize the vids to be sent to you -send me your details -when are you back in NZ -I have to make sure I keep an eye on lending them or theyll just get lost -Im sure you know how it goes lending and forgetting

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!