Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: proper pointers

Steer clear of the tweed. And rangerovers for that matter. There are some good working pointer and setter videos on youtube 2008 Kennel Club Champion Stake for Pointers and Setters Sponsored by Connolly's Red Mills - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Steer clear of the tweed. And rangerovers for that matter. There are some good working pointer and setter videos on youtube 2008 Kennel Club Champion Stake for Pointers and Setters Sponsored by Connolly's Red Mills - YouTube
    I always enjoy a dog trial of pointers and setters -very much a meditation for me working my setter ! Now "Tweed " are you mad Pointer , why wouldn't you want to wear Tweed .The funny suit gives great credibility to an unusual sport -dress for you sport and others will see and admire .I would like to see pointers and setter develop more in the country and have more people interested in field trialing and hunting --more more and we have more political sway with those brown nosing politicians who will sell their grandmothers for a vote.I might start trialing again also -anyone interested ?

http://www.pointersetter.org/
    Last edited by el borracho; 08-08-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

the whole pointer setter trial scene relies on only a few individuals at present, like many field trials sports it needs a influx of young people.

El Borracho, I admit, style is timeless, but I'd still feel like a plonker in tweed... It isn't my culture. I do however agree with you on wanting to see the P&S scene grow to what it was not that long ago.
    Popularity comes and goes, it isn't overly popular at present, but like all things, they come in and out of fashion. P&S was nearly dead in the 60's, fast forward to the 80's and it was damn near balloted to get an entry, to today where they are back to a few stalwarts holding the fort. As Kawhia states,currently I feel it needs a few new faces. I plan to trial the next pointer I get

Im going to get a light tweed suit soon -Im such a snob haha and start trialing again -I do love pointing dogs immensely and miss working mine more .You know what I hate is not having beautiful grounds to appreciate a pointing dog working in full flight , its something to behold .I sent of an email to the P&S Club today enquiring about fee's .I was looking at the winners board on the site and yes same old crew of very dedicated individuals "Robynn Gaskin , Jan Oconnor , Dave Sheely, to name a few -good on them for the great dedication and effort .Ill miss seeing Leon and Joy Mortenson and of course John Gaskin and John Blankley , it doesn't seem that long ago those pillars of the sport passed on ,I am lucky enough to have Leon's book which is a wonderful book of working setters.

I don't understand the reference to political brown-nosing, as I've certainly not experienced it myself within the P&S scene. But thats not to say it doesn't exist, just that I've not seen it.

As for wearing tweed improving the credibility of your chosen sport, I think that turning up with a well mannered dog which can work birds will get you much further. A clean shirt and trousers is sufficient to show respect for the other handlers, their dogs and game.

The P&S scene (or North Island atleast) is held together by a few passionate folk as Kawhia suggests. In the most part they are hugely encouraging, very welcoming and have a genuine desire to see you enjoy your experience. For most, the actual trial is almost secondary to the social side of it, catching up with people you haven't seen for a while etc....afterall, there has to be some benefit for having driven for 3 hours to the trial grounds, only to be kicked out after 30 seconds! lol
    Last edited by gqhoon; 08-08-2012 at 11:03 AM.

i don't wear tweed myself, but i always admired the way the claphams showed up for a trial not that they wore the full tweed mind, but showed a bit of respect to the dogs and game.
    the versatiles play a big part in keeping p/s going, take them away and i don't think they would have enough entries to hold a trial.
    lack of game and suitable ground is the biggest threat i see.

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    I don't understand the reference to political brown-nosing, as I've certainly not experienced it myself within the P&S scene. But thats not to say it doesn't exist, just that I've not seen it.

As for wearing tweed improving the credibility of your chosen sport, I think that turning up with a well mannered dog which can work birds will get you much further.

The P&S scene (or North Island atleast) is held together by a few passionate folk as Kawhia suggests. In the most part they are hugely encouraging, very welcoming and have a genuine desire to see you enjoy your experience. For most, the actual trial is almost secondary to the social side of it, catching up with people you haven't seen for a while etc....afterall, there has to be some benefit for having driven for 3 hours to the trial grounds, only to be kicked out after 30 seconds! lol
    The reference is to "Politicians"
    "more more and we have more political sway with those brown nosing politicians who will sell their grandmothers for a vote "
    quote -As for wearing tweed improving the credibility of your chosen sport, I think that turning up with a well mannered dog which can work birds will get you much further. How one dresses often says alot about ones sport -you dont turn up to the tennis in stubbies and a swanny -it would become a very low brow sport if everyone did -fear not a great dress code it can only do good!!!
    Yes the social side of things is great to chat with other like minded doggy people for sure .I had a GSP for many years -Flynn , he was a muched loved family member who passed away sadly -I won a north Island field trial with him -how I dont know as I was a walking zombie from a night on the Burbon

What's the guy with Springers who's a cop down Palmy way -he has the most beautiful tweed hunting attire with le Chamonix gum boots -man that guy looked a million dollars around the others around him

Hoon I agree, the times I've seen you at trials you look very respectable, nothing wrong with being tidy. Turning up in a full tweed suit? Not for everyone. Like you everybody I have met in the P&S scene has been really nice also.
    Game numbers and grounds to run on will always the bone of contention in New Zealand. Guess we will just have to make do

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    What's the guy with Springers who's a cop down Palmy way -he has the most beautiful tweed hunting attire with le Chamonix gum boots -man that guy looked a million dollars around the others around him
    tim finley

Hoon I agree, the times I've seen you at trials you look very respectable, nothing wrong with being tidy. Turning up in a full tweed suit? Not for everyone. Like you everybody I have met in the P&S scene has been really nice also.
    Game numbers and grounds to run on will always the bone of contention in New Zealand. Guess we will just have to make do
    or run spanners

Yup, there is definately a time and a place for dressing appropriately because of traditions.....but also need to dress for the weather. At a Spaniel trial in Taupo last year the weather was complete shite, so wet-weather gear was a order of the day (Kawhia will recall the day, as his Cocker eye-wiped mine on a retrieve).....by the time I left that afternoon, my boots were full of water.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    The reference is to "Politicians"
    "more more and we have more political sway with those brown nosing politicians who will sell their grandmothers for a vote "
    quote -As for wearing tweed improving the credibility of your chosen sport, I think that turning up with a well mannered dog which can work birds will get you much further. How one dresses often says alot about ones sport -you dont turn up to the tennis in stubbies and a swanny -it would become a very low brow sport if everyone did -fear not a great dress code it can only do good!!!
    Yes the social side of things is great to chat with other like minded doggy people for sure .I had a GSP for many years -Flynn , he was a muched loved family member who passed away sadly -I won a north Island field trial with him -how I dont know as I was a walking zombie from a night on the Burbon
    Haha, I turn up with a low-brow dog, so people's expectations are never too high!

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    or run spanners
    Each unto his own...

Oh, and welcome Hoon

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!