Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: What dog breed ( or cross breed ) do you deer indicate with?

Sounds like you got away lightly mate, $200 is a cheap vet visit in my experience. I hope she is ok mate, although 200 suggests she will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    bloody dogs!
    mine just cost me $200 at the vet as poor little tart got attacked by a boxer
    tetawa and Micky Duck like this.

Anyone else enjoying the latest Tux dog biscuit add on TV......got to be sachi n sachi job.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Sounds like you got away lightly mate, $200 is a cheap vet visit in my experience. I hope she is ok mate, although 200 suggests she will be fine
    local vet nurses son is employed by the missus, yep she is doing fine physically, behaviors wise not so good, shuns away from larger dogs (she is 20kg), and kind of more nervous around people.
    i would have called the council about the attacker but trying to get the boxer off her wrenched my injury pretty bad and i got pretty abusive to the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Well it's got four legs and a waggly thing on one end and a licky bitey sniffy thing on the other...
    Yup, pretty much all that is needed as well as patience and training from the boss.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

Next question then. Are there breeders on the forum who breed Heading X Vizsla pups that have good hunting lines?
    Bobba and Jukes like this.

yeah mate the phycological effects can be hard to repair. Basically you need to let her know that you can protect her from all threats and she should regain her confidence. One trick I use is if you can find a large dog then you put it on the ground and hold it down and encourage her to come and sniff the dog in a submissive posture. One of the main problems will be if you see a big dog when you're out walking, you are likely to tense up a bit and send her nervous energy which will also make her anxious. It can turn into a bit of a vicious cycle

local vet nurses son is employed by the missus, yep she is doing fine physically, behaviors wise not so good, shuns away from larger dogs (she is 20kg), and kind of more nervous around people.
    i would have called the council about the attacker but trying to get the boxer off her wrenched my injury pretty bad and i got pretty abusive to the owner.
    paremata likes this.

A standard poodle called Charlie was the very first hunting dog I ever worked with when I was a kid in England. We were rough shooting, so flushing, indicating, retrieving. Bloody brilliant dog. Extremely clever. Big dog, handsome, no silly haircut. He would swim freezing cold ponds and rivers all day in mid-winter no problems.

In New Zealand the best dogs I’ve been out with have all been heading dogs. They just seem to “get it” quite naturally without the arduous trials and tribulations I’ve seen mates have with some of the traditional pedigree hunting breeds. They don’t strike me as being so loopy when they’re young, not like many of the labs or vislas. I’m no expert in hunting breeds but it’s always struck me as the most obvious choice and without hesitation that’s what I would do.

Certainly better than a Staffordshire Bull Terrier!
    rugerman likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by IamRobertoPualson View Post
    Next question then. Are there breeders on the forum who breed Heading X Vizsla pups that have good hunting lines?
    If you can find a bitch I'm sure my boy can make the necessary deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    Yes very light. Both my incidents have been $2k plus.
    rugerman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    A standard poodle called Charlie was the very first hunting dog I ever worked with when I was a kid in England. We were rough shooting, so flushing, indicating, retrieving. Bloody brilliant dog. Extremely clever. Big dog, handsome, no silly haircut. He would swim freezing cold ponds and rivers all day in mid-winter no problems.

In New Zealand the best dogs I’ve been out with have all been heading dogs. They just seem to “get it” quite naturally without the arduous trials and tribulations I’ve seen mates have with some of the traditional pedigree hunting breeds. They don’t strike me as being so loopy when they’re young, not like many of the labs or vislas. I’m no expert in hunting breeds but it’s always struck me as the most obvious choice and without hesitation that’s what I would do.

Certainly better than a Staffordshire Bull Terrier!
    "mouse is border collie x, last dog was english butt terrier x dogo argentina. 35kg of solid muscle and teeth ( during the quakes he chewed thru my alloy mountain bike).
    soon as pup gets a bit older we will get another bull breed, if nothing else she will sure feel safer on walks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    If you can find a bitch I'm sure my boy can make the necessary deposit.
    I can vouch for ol mate's dog hunting abilities and good nature. he's gotten a fair few deer now

I’ve got a lab with strong English bird dog lines x’d with a farm huntaway.
    Love him to bits - fucking useless.

I blame the boss.
    rugerman likes this.

bloody dogs!
    mine just cost me $200 at the vet as poor little tart got attacked by a boxer
    Yeah, pays to find a better sparring partner

Hope the beast is ok.

Lab x heading dog and heading dog x catahoula are mine. The lab x has an awesome nose and loves to hunt, only downside is he gets excited and is not very quiet in the bush. Catahoula x is ideal, calm and loves to hunt, has only been onto 5 or so deer so not as into it as the other one but she's proving herself. If i could start again and only have 1 I'd get the catahoula x

Quote Originally Posted by piwakawaka View Post
    Lab x heading dog and heading dog x catahoula are mine. The lab x has an awesome nose and loves to hunt, only downside is he gets excited and is not very quiet in the bush. Catahoula x is ideal, calm and loves to hunt, has only been onto 5 or so deer so not as into it as the other one but she's proving herself. If i could start again and only have 1 I'd get the catahoula x
    Any pics of ya dogs...i always thought catahoula be used for pig dogs

Hamish

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz